Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A letter to my Mom.

Dear Mom,

I think you have forgotten this, but its me, your daughter. Yea, you have one of those, I promise. I know that to you I died 11 years ago when I chose not to follow the religious path you set out for me, but I am not dead. I am alive and kicking, and I am still your daughter. I am writing you this letter because I can't talk to you. Actually, its not because I can't, but its because you won't. I can't call you up to say hi and see how your day was, let alone have a serious heartfelt discussion. This will obviously be one sided with no chance for you to jump in and defend your actions, but that is by your choice. I wish I could talk to you in person. I wish I could hug you and tell you I love you. I wish you loved me.

Do you remember when you were in your car accident? You spent a week in the hospital, including 3 days in the ICU. Do you remember who never left your side, who slept in the hospital room with you so that you never had to wake up alone, who fed you ice chips when your mouth was dry, and who advocated for you when it was necessary? That was me. I knew that if the situation was reversed, you wouldn't do the same for me, but I could not let your actions define mine. You are my mother and you needed me, so I was there. It hurts me so much sometimes though to know that it changed nothing. That I am still dead to you.

How can you be that way? I just don't understand. As a mother now myself, I can not understand ever ignoring my child the way that you ignore me, no matter what they did.

You raised me in the religion for 18 years, and all of its teachings and beliefs were pounded into my head. I know how it works, you are controlled by fear. We were taught that we could not make any mistakes, and that if we did everyone we knew would abandon us. I am well aware of all that is taught, yet I still know I would not be able to do that to my children. Nor do I believe that God would want me to. And to be perfectly honest, if He did, then I don't want to worship Him anyway. Nothing is worth losing my children.

I know that you hope to convert my children to follow your faith. I will never try to control my children or force them to believe or not believe in a certain way as I was, but I will tell you that I hope you fail at your attempts. I love my children very deeply, and I would hate to see them in an organization that will turn their backs on throw them out at a moments notice.

Do you have any idea the pain and emotional trauma that abandonment like that can cause? I pray that you never have to find out. I still love you and I wouldn't want you to have to hurt the way that I have.

The saddest part is that I don't even think you realize just how fucked up it is. For my first three years as a mother, I lived in constant fear that Armageddon was going to come, and my beautiful innocent children would be killed because of the sins of me, their mother. That is what you taught me, that is what your religion pounded into my head. Every time a thunderstorm happened, I would cower in a corner of my house, holding my kids close and praying that this wasn't the day they would be taken. I was brainwashed with fear.

I am trying very hard to move forward with my life, but it isn't easy. You never did what parents are supposed to do, and never prepared me for life in the real world. I did not know how to pay bills, balance a check book, or save money. I was taught that furthering my education by going to college was an evil and selfish thing to do. I did not know that real evil existed in the world, and I wasn't taught how to protect myself from it. The only people I was ever exposed to were in the religion, and I was taught to implicitly trust every person I met. Believe me when I tell you, that particular lesson has been a very, very difficult one to break.

I wish I could say or do something that would open your eyes, make you understand... But I can't. I cannot free you from the hold of that organization, and I have to accept that. I have to accept that I do not have a mother. I have no one I can call for advice or wisdom. No one to turn to for the affection I so desperately crave. You couldn't even give me a hug at grandmas funeral.

I have so much more that I want to say to you, so much that I want to make you understand. I wish you would talk to me.

I love you mom, I always will.

Your loving, out casted daughter.

5 comments:

  1. TrustingPoet,

    Your heartfelt letter brought tears to my eyes. It says so much that so many in a similar situation would love to be able to express. Thank you for sharing this; it sheds more light on the tragedy that is this religion than any debates over doctrines ever could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to reach the point that I could actually write this letter, and my heart breaks for those who are still trying to figure out how to write their own. It is an absolutely terrible experience that no one should ever have to go through, and it saddens me to know just how many have.
      The best I can do is make sure my children and grandchildren never go through what I did.

      Delete
  2. This letter broke my heart, just as yours has been broken by the choices your mother has made under the guise of religion. I want to assure you that the God I believe in is loving and merciful and forgiving. We are not judged on our perfection, we are forgiven in His grace. I question the heart of anyone who would turn away from their children. We can tell them that we think they are on a path that causes us concern, but ultimately as adults the choice is theirs, our job as a parent is to love them, leave God to do the judging, just as the Bible says. Ultimately, it is your mother who has lost, lost the presence of a daughter in her life that she gave life to. I believe the time will come, in this life or after, that she will know she misunderstood and made the wrong decision. Teach your children about God and faith and above all about LOVE! Love never leaves, love never fails! We cannot change what other people think of us, but we can make the choice to dismiss them from our lives and move on knowing that we are good and acceptable in God's eyes, just as we were created. Love yourself, regardless of what you have been shown!
    XOXO, Josie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words Josie. What you say is how I feel as well.
      I just cannot grasp the concept of a God that supposedly loves His children so much, yet would require a parent on earth to abandon their own child. It just does not make sense to me.

      Delete
  3. This is a powerful and important posting. I thought you'd like to know that I linked to it in my review of Diane Wilson's ex-JW book and the JW shunning practice. Much peace to you as you deal with being the victim of this cruelty.

    ReplyDelete